Wind Tunnel Services
Wind tunnel can be used for performance testing, handling qualities assessments and powered engine campaigns.
The Airbus wind tunnel team is highly experienced and capable, taking pride in innovating and developing new wind tunnel technology, model designs, model manufacturing processes and measurement techniques to the highest standards.
Using the expertise from our Bremen, Filton and Toulouse sites, we can respond to varied testing needs, complex requirements and short turnarounds.
The team carries out the full end-to-end process of design, structural analysis, manufacture and, of course, the operational testing of wind tunnel models. We have a number of very capable, experienced test leaders, who coordinate both our in-house tests plus the work we carry out at external facilities.
Applicability: Aeronautics | Automotive | Medical | Nuclear | Wind Energy | Sailing | Rail Transport| Space | Military | Oil & Gas
Facility Location: Filton, United Kingdom | Bremen, Germany
- Complete package can be proposed from 3D modelling, through mock-up creation until wind tunnel test and data analysis by an integrated, capable and highly experienced engineering team
- Easier and cheaper than performing a flight test in aeronautics domain
- Test tailored to your needs and industry: many parameters can be adjustable (wind speed, in certain wind tunnels also temperature and pressure)
- Lots of different technics available for flow visualisation
- Extensive instrumentation options and experience, applicable not just to the aeronautics industry
Wind Tunnel testing in Filton
Learn how wind tunnel testing helps Airbus engineers to better understand the overall design of the E-Fan X demonstrator, and the effects of air as it moves over and around the test model
This tunnel has a working section of 3.05m (h) by 3.65m (w) by 8.5m (l), and is powered by a 2MW fan motor, giving speeds up to 97m/s (0.29 mach). High speed or higher Reynolds number work is led by us as the customer at external wind tunnels around Europe and beyond. The tunnel can be used for performance testing, handling qualities assessments and powered engine campaigns. We are able to offer a large number of advanced measurement techniques including Particle Image Velocimetry.
We love to be the pioneers, as we did with 3D printing technology, installing our first machine over 20 years ago. Virtually all of the 3D printed components on Airbus wind tunnel models are now made in house in Filton, either in plastic or metal, depending on the application and we support the wider business from fuel systems to wing structures to flight test. We already have a large number of internal customers across the Airbus Group and external customers in various industries outside of Airbus.
For decades, Airbus has acquired an unique expertise in performing a wide range of environmental simulation tests to demonstrate the certification of aircraft equipment and systems against international certification standards (e.g. RTCA DO160), being then representative of the most harsh flight and operations conditions like over-pressure & vacuum, wide temperature range, thermal shock, high humidity range, corrosion, etc.
Applicability: Aeronautics | Automotive | Medical | Nuclear | Wind Energy | Sailing | Rail Transport | Space | Military | Oil & Gas
Thanks to dedicated test facilities, we are able to handle extra large samples of equipment and even entire aircraft sections, for instance:
- Multi Climate Chamber (11.5m x 7.8m x 7.1m) where we can handle 2 different temperature zones (+5°C/+50°C and -60°C/+50°C) with relative humidity of 5 to 100%rH @ 24°C
- Vacuum chamber (5m x 2.8m x 2.6m) where we can achieve temperature range of -70°C to +80°C, low pressure of 115 hPa, relative humidity max 95 % @ 75°C and rapid decompression from 752.6 hPa to 116 hPa within 15 s
- Other means/chambers available
Through those decades we have also developed a world wide recognised expertise in the field of Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) testing that allow us to offer a wide range of tests to qualify and certify equipment and systems against aeronautics standards (RTCA DO-160) and other industry standards:
- EMC and High-intensity Radiated Field
- Lightning Indirect Effects
- Power, Harness and Shielding
We perform those tests in our laboratories equipped with large size chambers:
- 2 Anechoid chambers (12m x 6,7m x 6,5m with 3m turntable and 5,6m x 3,7m x 2,9m)
- Shielded room (8m x 4m x 2,5m)
- Reverberation chamber (4m x 2m x 2,5m)
We can also perform those tests on premise in the frame for example of aircraft working parties, data transfer measurements, certification, etc.
- Unique expertise in performing a wide range of environmental simulation tests
- Dedicated test facilities: we are able to handle extra large samples of equipment and even entire aircraft sections
- Wide range of tests to qualify and certify equipment and systems against aeronautics standards (RTCA DO-160) and other industry standards
- Laboratories equipped with large size chambers
- Tests can be performed on premises
Electrician testing wires
Airbus proposes a wide range of electrical testing services:
- Abuse cases
You may like
Years of experience in aircraft ground maintenance and loading/boarding operations
Ground operations are just as important as in-flight operations. Discover our services to make the most out of your fleet.
Get access to our instrumentation shops and associated expertise
Airbus Services offers a wide range of solutions and expertise in test instrumentation domain. We address all test instrumentation aspects, even on specific topics like sensors, acquisition, processing, connectivity, recording and data analysis.
Airborne Operations & Testing
Benefit from our years of experience in aircraft and UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) flight testing
Airbus developed and certified a wide range of airliners and military aircraft (both for initial development/certification and in-service modifications). Various technology demonstrators have also been tested (laminar wing demonstrator, ‘vortex’ surfing flight, autonomous taxi and take off).